An epidemiologist with too much time on his hands has taken his “cursory” stats aptitude and applied it to pop culture by doing a Hunger Games survival analysis.
As a student of epidemiology and economics I feel duty-bound to apply my cursory knowledge of statistics to the novel natural cohort presented in the Hunger Games novel, as documented by author Suzanne Collins. I present a Hunger Games survival analysis: in a Cox proportional hazards model, which covariates are associated with the odds (or hazard ratios) being ever in your favor?
- 1. an explanation of the Hunger Games and facts relevant to this analysis
- 2. a snappy literature review of peripherally-related things other scholars have written on the subject
- 3. construction and presentation of data set
- 4. do the Gamemakers rig the draw? an analysis of expected lottery outcomes in scenarios differing by tessera and demographic trends
- 5. the main event: a Cox proportional hazard model to explore predictors of survival time in the 74th annual Hunger Games.